Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Emcee for 1st Annual HEALING HEARTS Gala benefitting THRIVEWELL Cancer Organization 2012






A couple of years ago, I lost my best childhood girlfriend, Diedra Auci Bradshaw and a fellow Survivor Castaway and friend, Jenn Lyon, to breast cancer.  Ever since my friend Diedra was diagnosed, I started doing what I could to help raise awareness and funds for this cause, from Blood Drives :http://ritaverreos.blogspot.com/search?q=donating+blood  to Rallies around the country with fellow Reality Show contestants http://ritaverreos.blogspot.com/search?q=Reality+Rally to posing in a Hollywood Glamour Pin Up Calendar;http://ritaverreos.blogspot.com/search?q=Strike+a+Pose.  A few months ago, one of my fellow "Celebrity" Pin Up Calendar Models,  San Antonio Fox Evening News Anchor Karen Martinez asked me to help her organize a Gala to raise funds for the THRIVEWELL Cancer Foundation.  Besides my above connection to this cause, Karen has become a Hero of mine as a working mother who hasn't let the Breast Cancer she's currently battling, slow her down. She is absolutely AMAZING! I was so Honored to help organize this event alonside another of her fellow News Reporters, Yami Virgin and ESPN Radio Host, Chris Duel.  As if that weren't honor enough for me, Karen asked me to Co-Emcee the Gala alongside Fox Weather Anchor,  Mike Hernandez.  One of the friends that I reached out to for help with the event was Eddie Romero, GM of TELEMUNDO.  I'm very lucky that they have always been tremendously supportive of  my work on television and in the community.  Thus, they produced a beautiful PSA which they ran on air to help me promote the Gala (below).  FOX was also tremendously supportive and had Karen on a few times to promote the Gala before and after the event. Click here to see an apperance on the Fox @ 9 Morning show: http://www.foxsanantonio.com/newsroom/daytime/videos/vid_353.shtml below with my AMAZING  parents (my Dad, 2X lung cancer survivor) and beautiful daughter.





 Karen was VERY  gracious to let me have a  moment to Honor my Hero, my father:  Click here to see/listen why: Thanks to EVERYONE who came to the Plaza Club to attend the Gala, including our Guest Speaker, the poised Mrs. Erica Castro, wife of the Mayor of San Antonio: and a special thanks to very generous sponsors who gave us items for the "Live Auction"   The "Healing Hearts" Gala was a HUGE success.  We raised $30,000!!  Please, click here for beautiful photos of a night full of delicious food, fun music and most of all, HOPE:) :www.healingheartsgala.com

No comments: